Karnataka State Open University has developed the following set of norms and procedure to conduct the examinations
A. Examination Scheme
Annual Examination will be conducted in each Academic year during Apr/May.
Supplementary examination shall be held during October / November.
B. Procedure of Examination
Candidate shall register for all subjects (whole examination) when he/she appears for the examination for the first time (during the year of admission).
C. Examination Centres
Depending upon the quality, performance and the number of students enrolled the university will identify the Examination centres from among the study centres. In addition to these Examination Centres, the University conducts examination in other Institutions also which will be notified in the examination fee circular, timetable etc. If any changes are made regarding examination centres, the same will be updated in the KSOU Website: www.ksou-india.com Supplementary examinations will have lesser number of examination centres depending on the strength of the students.
D. Minimum Marks required for a Pass
No Candidate shall be declared to have passed in any course unless he / she obtains 35% in the aggregate of term-end examination and internal assessment put together for all the subjects
E. Course Exemption
Exemption is granted in courses in which a minimum of 35% is secured
F. Classification of Successful Candidates
University will declare the grade of successful candidates on the basis of the marks obtained by the candidates both in Grade and Class.
G. Grading System for the Programs
The following table shows the grading of successful candidates
||Qualitative Level Grade
||80 % above |
||60 – 79.9 % |
||50 – 59.9 % |
||35 – 49.9% |
||Below 35% |
H. Class for the Programs
||60% and above |
||Above 50% but below 60% |
||Above 40% but below 50% |
I. Scheme of Examination
Please see the prospectus for more details
J. Re-totalling, Revaluation and Photo copy of Answer scripts
The University will send the marks card to the candidate through registered post after announcing the examination results in the Karnataka State Open University website. Candidates have provision to apply for re-totaling, re-valuation and photo copy of answer scripts within 30 days from the date of the announcement of Results in the University Website.
K. Evaluation Procedure
Evaluation for each course covers two aspects:
- Internal assessment (IA) through assignments with a weightage of 10%
- Term-end examination having a weightage of 90%
Students are required to submit assignments according to the prescribed schedule before the term-end examination. In case, the student has not submitted the assignment within the prescribed date, the result of such candidate will be declared on the basis of the theory marks only.
M. Eligibility to appear for Examination
To be eligible to appear at the term-end examination in any course, the students are required to fulfill the following conditions:
- They should have paid the Programme / Tuition fee due for that year
- They should have opted and pursued the prescribed Programme
- They should submit the examination form on time
- The admission to the course should have been approved by the University.
N. Examination Time-table
Schedule of Examination dates indicating the date and time will be sent to all the Regional Centres/Examination Centres within 15 days before the commencement of Examination. The students can obtain the detailed Time-Table from their nearest Regional Centre or Examination Centre. They can also log on to www.ksou-india.com No individual intimation will be sent to the student regarding Examination Time Table.
O. Instructions Related to Examination
- See calendar of events for the last date for the payment of examination fee.
- Students will appear for the examination at the Examination Centre allocated to them and not at any other Centre without specific permission of the Registrar (Evaluation)
- Examination Centre once opted shall not be changed. If students wish to change, they have to pay Rs.1000/- and obtain the permission of Registrar (Evaluation), before submitting the application form for examination.
- Announcement of Results : Results will be announced on the website (www.ksou-india.com)
- The University examinations for B.A Degree Programme are held twice a year in April/May and October/November.
- Examination application and the challan can be obtained in the Study Centres/ Regional Centres at free of cost and also can be downloaded from KSOU website.
- Repeaters will have to obtain the examination application from on request from the Registrar (Evaluation),by First week of March for April/May Examinations any by Second week of August for Supplementary Examinations (October/November). The Examination Application form will also be available at the Study Centres/Regional Centres free of cost and can also be downloaded from the KSOU Website.
- Examination fee has to be paid through SBM/SBI Banks in the University challan. Once the fee is paid, it will not be refunded or adjusted for any examination even though a student is absent for a particular examination.
- Students should obtain the admission ticket for the examination from the Chief Superintendent of the examination Centre three days before the commencement of the examination. Admission ticket will not be sent to the candidates by post.
- Marks cards will be dispatched to the student by Reg/Speed post. If the Candidate does not receive the Marks card within a period of 30 days, hw can download the same from the website and then send it to Registrar (Evaluation), KSOU, Manasagangotri, -06 for needful action.
- Students can answer examination in Kannada or in English. English medium students can answer examination in Kannada and Vice-versa also.
- Candidates appearing for the examination for the first time shall pay the prescribed fee for all the papers / courses irrespective of the number of papers / courses they wish to appear.
P. Examination Fee (Subject to Change)
Students can obtain the details of fees by buying the prospectus.
The successful candidates can obtain respective certificates after the convocation
- After University´s Convocation Notification, candidates who have passed Examination can procure degree certificate by sending prescribed application and challan to the Registrar (Evaluation), KSOU . For further information browse University website.
- For procuring provisional certificate, the candidate has to submit an application along with Fee Paid Challan and Xerox marks cards to the Registrar (Evaluation), KSOU, .
- Migration Certificate: For procuring Migration Certificate, the candidate has to furnish no-dues from the Admission Section / Finance Section / Library of KSOU.
R. Other Fees Related to Examination
||Fee Amount |
||Fee for Change of Examination Centre
||Revaluation fee per Paper / Course
||Photo copy oif answer book (per Paper / Course)
||Re-totalling of marks per Paper / Course
||Duplicate Marks Card (Additional search fee Rs. 50/- per year)
||Consolidated Marks Card (Additional Rs. 50/- for delay per year)
||Migration Certificate (Additional Rs. 50/- search fee per year)
||Provisional Pass Certificate
||Convocation Fee (in Person-Medalists and Rank holders)
||Convocation Fee (in Absentia) Additional Search fee per year Rs. 50/-)
||Genuinety Certificate/Verification Certificate for overseas students